Professor, History of Medicine and History; DGS History of Science & Medicine
Field(s) of interest:
HSHM: History of 20th century medicine & public health in North America including policy, activism, alternative medicine & gender and medicine; Science & feminism; Feminist health movements
University of Pennsylvania: Ph.D. 1986
Works in Progress
- A study of American radical health movements in the 1960s.
- A study of American homeopathy in the 20th century.
- Polio Wars: Sister Kenny and the Golden Age of American Medicine, Oxford University Press, USA, 2013
- An Alternative Path: The Making and Remaking of Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia Rutgers University Press, 1998
- Dirt and Disease: Polio before FDR Rutgers University Press, 1992
- Caution: The AMA May Be Dangerous To Your Health: The Student Health Organizations (SHO) and American Medicine, 1965-1970, Radical History Review forthcoming in 2001.
- The Public Face of Homeopathy : Alternative Medicine, the Public and the State in the United States 1900-1950, in Martin Dinges, ed., Patients in the History of Homeopathy: International Perspectives, in press.
- The Debate Considered [Historians and Sister Kenny], Australian Historical Studies 114:163-166, 2000.
- American Homeopathy Confronts Scientific Medicine, in Robert J?tte, Guenter B. Risse and John Woodward, eds.,Culture, Knowledge and Healing: Historical Perspectives of Homeopathic Medicine in Europe and North America, European Association for the History of Medicine and Health, 1998, pp. 31-64.
- A Disease of Cleanliness: Polio in New York City, 1900-1990, in David Rosner, ed., Hives of Sickness: Public Health and Epidemics in New York City Rutgers University Press, 1995, pp. 115-130.
- Sister Kenny’ (RKO 1946), Isis 84:772-774, 1993.
- Thomas Francis, Jr: From the Bench to the Field, in Joel Howell, ed., Medical Lives and Scientific Medicine at Michigan, 1861-1969 University of Michigan Press, 1993, pp. 161-187.
- Women and Sectarian Medicine, in Rima D. Apple, ed., Women, Health and Medicine in America: A Historical Handbook Garland, 1990, pp. 280-310. Paperback edition, Rutgers University Press, 1991.
- Germs with Legs: Flies, Disease, and the New Public Health, Bull. Hist. Med. (1989) 63: 599- 617.
- Dirt, Flies and Immigrants: Explaining the Epidemiology of Poliomyelitis, J. Hist. Med. Allied Sci. (1989) 44: 486-505; reprinted in Judith Walzer Leavitt and Ronald L. Numbers, eds., Sickness and Health in America: Readings in the History of Medicine and Public Health University of Wisconsin Press, 1997, pp. 543-554.
- The Proper Place of Homeopathy: Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital in an Age of Scientific Medicine, Penn. Mag. Hist. & Biog. (1984) 108: 159-201; reprinted in The Hahnemannian (1985) 120: 5-11.