Lecturer Emeritus, History and Religious Studies
Fields of interest:
Middle East: Medieval Middle Eastern history; Islamic history
Professor Allouche teaches and researches Medieval Islamic history.
- Osmanlì-Safevî Ili_kileri: Kökenleri ve Geli_imi. Istanbul: Anka Yayìnlarì, 2001.
- Turkish translation by Ahmed Emin Da_ of Origins and Development of the Ottoman-‘afavid Conflict (906-962/1500-1555), originally published in 1983 by Klaus Schwarz Verlag, Berlin.
- Mamluk Economics: A Study and Translation of al-Maqrizi’s Ighathah. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press, 1994.
- The Origins and Development of the Ottoman-Safavid Conflict (906-962/1500-1555). Berlin: Klaus Schwarz Verlag, 1983.
- Entries “Ibn Baãã_ãa” and “Epidemics.” In Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopedia. Edited by Josef Meri. New York: Routledge, 2005.
- “Arabian Religions.” In The Encyclopedia of Religion. Second Edition. Edited by Lindsay Jones. Vol. 1, pp. 442-446. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2005.
- A revised version of the article published in the first edition of the same encyclopedia (1987).
- “Arabian Religions.” In The Encyclopedia of Religion (Second Edition), ed. Lindsay Jones. (Revised article) Scheduled for publication in 2004 by Thompson.
- “A Study of Ibn Battutah’s Account of his 726/1326 Journey Through Syria and Arabia”. In Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism. Vol. 57, pp. 40-48. New York: Gale, 2003. Originally published in Journal of Semitic Studies 35:2 (Autumn 1990): 283-299.
- “Coptic Contribution to the Umayyad Fleet”. In The Coptic Encyclopedia, ed. Aziz S. Atiya. Vol. 7, p. 2287. New York: Macmillan, 1991.
- “A Study of Ibn Battutah’s Account of his 726/1326 Journey Through Syria and Arabia”. Journal of Semitic Studies 35:2 (Autumn 1990): 283-299.
- “Teguder’s Ultimatum to Qalawun”. International Journal of Middle East Studies, 22:4 (November 1990): 437-446.
- “Arabian Religions.” In The Encyclopedia of Religion, ed. Mircea Eliade. Vol. 1, pp. 363-67. New York: Macmillan, 1987.
- “The Establishment of Four Judgeships in Fatimid Egypt.” Journal of the American Oriental Society 105:2 (April-June 1985): 317-320.
- 13 book reviews published in:
- Middle East Studies Bulletin
- International Journal of Middle East Studies
- Journal of Semitic Studies
- al-cUsur al-wusta. The Bulletin of Middle East Medievalists
- Iranian Studies
- The Muslim World
- Language in Society
- The Middle East Journal
- Proto-dynastic rule in early Islamic history.
- Shi’i-Sunni polemics under the Safavids.